DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    OK, i´ve been out of the "scene" for a little while (parenthood, career change,...) and recently began re-browsing this fine place and it seems these guitars are getting some attention. Can i have some more info on them? sound is always subjective, and i´ll search for Michael´s videos on youtube for that, so i´ll settel myself for: :)

- the arm: what´s the thickness at the 12th fret? is it on the thin-side or bulky? easy to play?
    - the top: which spruce, if anyone knows?
    - body depth?
    - quality of hardware?

thanks in advance and sorry for over-questioning.
    miguel.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Most of the dimensions are listed in the notes section of the listing. The neck is more traditional, like the DG-300. U shaped so it's flat on the back. The solid wood models have nicer tuners on them...the tuners on the laminate models are OK but many people replace them.

The main thing is that they have a very good traditional tone for the money....there really isn't anything else Asian made that has the dry, singing highs that these guitars have. Very loud, very crisp. Most other stuff in this price range is pretty wet and bass heavy so that's why people tend to get excited about the Altamiras.
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Miguel,

I just wanted to jump in here and let you know that the M30 is a great guitar. I bought one and was totally blown away when it showed up. The neck is comfortable and straight with excellent fret work and playability. The tuners are definitely and upgrade from the stock enclosed tuners that come on Sagas, these hold pitch really well. Sound wise it's traditional Selmer with a ton of punch. To my amazement, it is the loudest Selmer style guitar I've played yet. If you're thinking of a guitar in this price range my advice would be to go for this. I've owned and played quite a few Sagas and this guitar is in a whole different league. The price is great and there isn't much difference between this and a very expensive guitar, to be honest I like playing this as much as any other Selmer style guitar. Hope this helps :D

-Jason
  • Aaron SAaron S New
    I'm interested in this guitar, but the video on the product page was recorded at a really low volume and I can't really tell what it sounds like from that. Does anyone have/know of any other recordings where I might be able to get a better idea of what it sounds like?

Thanks
    Hi Aaron,

I'll try to take some video this weekend of the M30 that I have and post it here for you. If you're looking in the $1,200 price range I honestly haven't heard a Sel-Mac that sounds as good as the M30, and I've tried and owned a lot of budget guitars.... Yeah it's probably not a Dupont VRB, but it sounds much better than Sagas and it's fun to play!

-Jason
  • Aaron SAaron S New
    That would be much appreciated if you get around to it, thanks.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey there,

I have an Alta Mira M01, which has the same specs as the 30, but has the cheeper tuners, and I imagine isn't set up quite as nice (or wasn't when I bought it). I think both guitars are basically manouche latcho drom 'nuages' models, but without the dell arte bells and whistles.

I certainly VOUCH for this guitar.

One thing you should know - The NECK, while U shaped like the DG 300, it is not nearly as thick as the DG 300. The DG is more of a rounded U, while the alta mira is more of a square-ish U shape.

The volume is FAR superior, and, to my ears, it sounds much more like Django than the Gitanes.

Good luck!
    A
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    anthon_74 wrote:

One thing you should know - The NECK, while U shaped like the DG 300, it is not nearly as thick as the DG 300. The DG is more of a rounded U, while the alta mira is more of a square-ish U shape.

The next batch will have C shaped necks, so these will have a more ergonomic modern feel like a Dupont.
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    anthon_74 wrote:

The next batch will have C shaped necks, so these will have a more ergonomic modern feel like a Dupont.

That's a shame. I was hoping to buy an Altimira D hole as a backup to my Barault, not only because they apparently sound alright for the money (and I'd love a D hole), but also because there aren't many other cheaper gypsy guitars out there with "proper" sized necks. One of the great things about the DG-300 is it's relatively chunky neck, but most of the other cheaper selmacs I've played have these horrible little whispy bits of wood on them that may be a bit easier on beginners fingers, but really let down anyone willing to persevere for a good solid feel. I hope the M30 neck doesn't get too thin in its next incarnation...

Jon